So, about the music playing now… yeah the heat continues down here… as does the rain…
I like rain – up to a point. And, we are past that! I was standing out in the yard the other day and I could’ve sworn I could see the grass growing! But, I have to admit it looks a lot better green. So as the clouds rolled back in pregnant with mega gallons of wetness poised to plunge down upon my dreads I headed back in. Okay the lightening convinced me to go inside. But I digress…
I put on my “sound cannons” and decided to create a few new sets. I was feeling a bit of nostalgic for the old school groove with a touch of brazilian style drumming mixed in so this week you will hear both! Dr Buzzard’s Original Savannah Band, Powerhouse 3, Domu, Mann Parrish, N.Y.C. Peech Boys (where the heck is my “Life is Something Special 12”?!?!?), Dazz Band, War (check out the remix! It features their cut “Southern Part of Texas”, Me’Shell NdegeOcello, Billy Preston (sw a repeat of Blues Brothers 2000 a while back and he’s been on my head ever since…), Mr. Fingers, The Time, Sister Sledge are all included in the latest set. The mix of Salz’ “Honey Be Good and Jazzanova’s “Glow and Glare is nice if I say so myself! So, I think this set will prove quite interesting for those of you who like to listen to what is happening in the music as you hear it….
And just ’cause I was asked, yes you can catch replay’s of Wa’D’s sets not to forget his Wednesday set at 7:30Pm Eastern US time. His sets includes a number of artists that those with multi-genre tastes will definitely appreciate including Kleeer, Shiela E. Madhouse, Dennis Springer, Marcus Johnson 7 Maysa, Crown Heights Affair, Dexter Wansel, First Light and many more. You should definitely do yourselves a big favor and try to catch those sets!
Other artists that will also be heard if you tune in with a quickness…
Bohannon, Ovasoul 7,Elements of Life, Fredrik Stark, Victor Rosado (very rare version of Johnny Hammond’s cut “Los Conquistadores Chocolate”),Naked Rhythm, Chevel, Bobbi Humphrey, The Blackbyrds, Weekender, Brothers Johnson, The Crusaders, Georges Benson & Duke, Ronnie Laws, Johnny Hammond, Kenny Dope, DJ Tonk, Midnight Express, Mark Farina, Black Magic, Jay Tripwire, Sheila E., Quant, Lee, Lisa Shaw and many more….
Now to answer a few questions….
- No you won’t find that version of “Skin I’m In” anywhere else. Sorry!
- Nope, that Tony Toni Tone remix if “Feels Good” will only be played here.
- I dunno why I mixed Parliament’s “Night of the Thumpasaurus Peoples” with the Masters At Work mix of Rain/Give It Up (A Lil Louis Painting). It just felt right.
- Yes that mix of Raze’s “Break For Love” into DJ Languages “Close To You” does seem very visual in an aural sense. Hahaha!! Uhuh! That’s what I saw in my mind’s eye as it played too!
- I dunno. Let me know…in the meantime sign up as a VIP and lose the commercial breaks.
- No you are not missing anything. The music picks up right where it left off at. The mixes are designed so that VIPs get a nonstop flow. (See the above answer for solution *wink*)
- Yes I’m also a musician and I think that is sometimes a blessing and a curse when listening to other mixes or some DJs in certain clubs. (Dudes’ need to stop singing over the mike yanno?)
- Well, your mission “Mr. Phelps” is to put an ear on this and see what comes to mind. Then get back at me.
- Jheri Curl Fridays 08: “Let it Whip” (popdose.com)
- 1988 – 1994: When The Rock Instrumental (Kind of) Ruled the Airwaves (thebrowntweedsociety.com)
- Defected In The House Radio Show (13.06.11) (chefsnews.wordpress.com)